Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thing #9 - In Limbo

While I wait for my confimation of membership to the sandbox (who knew sandbox membership would be so much like joining a country club), I thought I would begin posting my feelings regarding and the steps I took with said sandbox. I haven't found it nearly as frustrating as others (maybe their warnings prepared me for the inevitable), but I do find it frustrating to have to wait for confirmation of membership before proceeding. What can I say? I'm an impatient person. ? One person I spoke to waited multiple days to receive her sandbox confirmation. Argh! I don't have days. I rush to complete my Things as is.

Good news! As of 8:34 PM, Wednesday, Oct 7, I was an official member of THE SANDBOX! Again, I didn't seem to have near the problems that my predecessors have discussed in their posts. Again, maybe, because I was prepared for an experience rivaling Armageddon, the reality didn't seem so bad. Also, my predecessors are significantly ahead of me, so it is possible they paved the way, trampling down the snow, pushing back the dense undergrowth, etc, etc. Bottom line: not so bad. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to choose the four categories for my portion of the sandbox, but I found ways to have fun anyway (trust me, the picture I've included is FAR better than another, live-action, bear picture I have . . . maybe I'll save it for Blakester. I do know how much she loves that one). Anyway, all is good with the world and I am going to bed.

4 comments:

  1. It is good to know that I am not the only one who is a bit flummoxed at times (I mean your predecessors, not you); I have been relying on the kindness of strangers/friends to help me navigate the wiki world. I am not even sure I have correctly followed instructions. However, despite my nervousness, I am beginning to have a little fun with wikis...correction: with the idea of wikis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong . . . I'm struggling, but I was expecting the four horsemen to come out of the screen and they never did. It was nothing more than luck on my part; one of the benefits of being in the middle of the pack. :)

    And I think you're doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, when I step back and re-examine the process, it really wasn't that much trouble. The trouble stems, not from this one thing(the sandbox wiki), but because while waiting on this one thing, I completed 2 other things (the Flickr world and slide show creation). These two things were quite time-consuming and overwhelming, so when I finished these things and returned to play in the sandbox, I was already worn-out, bleary-eyed, and frustrated. So, after some self-analysis, I've determined that the Flickr world and slide show perfection attempt were actually the things that frustrated me and not the sandbox. Have I confused you all, now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think mine had more to do with being concerned about my cat than what I was trying to do. And being a visual learner, when the directions said to type two [[ on each side, but then had this graphic [toc], I went for the graphic. I wonder if i can edit the directions page to change that because I think most people first try it with only one [ on each side.

    ReplyDelete