Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thing #11


I'm with Rhonda on this one . . . I feel like I've been in family-vacation-picture-hell. I realize "we" (we being the general public) are responsible for updating sites such as Flickr by "tagging" and modifying, but there has got to be a better way of finding what one needs. My god! I must have looked a million pictures and only found three (THREE!) that were suitable for my theme (which is Original Sin, FYI). I almost hate to complain, though. If I don't like the setup of a living site, isn't it my responsibility to re-tag or whatever to make it more user friendly? Of course, my Puritan heritage reminds me that no matter what I do or how hard I try, God hates me and I am, therefore, worthy of his wraith . . . damn the fruit and his serpent friend (i.e. Original Sin). Anyway, I SO don't want or have the time to overhall flickr. To be honest, it's almost easier to take my own pictures (I carry my camera in my purse everywhere just in case). As a matter of fact, Blakester and I have both taken advantage of this little habit to add pics to our blogs, sandboxes, etc. Why can't anything ever be easy?!

By the way, the above picture is courtesy of Flickr and Thomas Hawk. It is titled "The Devil You Know." Hmmm . . . doesn't look anything like the devil I know, but I guess that's kind of the point: the devil doesn't LOOK evil; he just IS evil. Better for tempting, my dear (said the wolf dressed as Grandma).

To be honest, I just don't know how often I will actually go to Flickr to find pics. It's way too much work for a slide show/presentation/power point/lesson/whatever that will really only be looked at for a quick second before we move on. I do like knowing how to embed links, though. That's going to be really handy. I have a feeling my family and friends are going to be sick of me and my embedded links before too long. Mwaaa-ha-ha-ha! Just call me Old Scratch!

6 comments:

  1. NM, I love the idea of just taking my own pictures, too. It seems to be so much easier, more personal, and more relevant. However, I am so technologically behind that I don't even own a modern digital camera. My husband actually bought me a camera when they first came out and were too expensive and had very little pixels so produce low-quality pictures. So it is pointless to drag that old baby out at this point in the techno-time-line. Maybe, I'll treat myself to a new updated, model (camera, not husband) for my birthday. Now, back to the topic. I don't see myself visiting Flickr too often either. It is too tortuous to look through all of the amateur photographers' photos, just for a few minutes of show. More often than not, the image that I have already pictured in my mind is not on Flickr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I need a bigger purse. I have a really tiny camera, but the rest of my purse just won't agree to let it live there. But it would be doing way more good there than stuffed in my sock drawer. Perhaps I shall try rearranging my purse to see if it will fit because the nicest thing about taking your own pictures is not worrying about C or CC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, the weird word I had to type to post that was suropst. I think that should mean something. We should make up definitions for these words . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same thought about creating definitions for these crazy "words".

    I've been carrying my camera in my purse for awhile now. Even when I cared that little, white hobo bag. If it (and all my other junk) can fit in there, you're even smaller camera can fit in your bigger purse. Throw out some of that make-up you carry (ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I should choose between the nine mil., the tazer, and the mace. That's a tough choice . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ladies just crack me up. I really love you guys.

    ReplyDelete