Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thing #12

I used Pikistrips to create this gorgeous presentation. I liked it, but I was rather frustrated with the limited options. I would like to have seen a "cropping" option for the pictures and the ability to place text vertically rather than just horizontally. Overall, though, it's pretty cool. I like the idea of being able to print the strip; with a good printer, this would be an awesome way to do Christmas cards or vacation photo souveniers. The uses really are endless although a little more challenging for education than something fun (oops! Did I say that out loud?! Eek!). To me, this strip seems pretty self explanatory. The only connection I can think to make would be to mention it would go along with my discussion of the Puritins and The Scarlet Letter. Like Salinger whose theme is the seven deadly sins, finding school appropriate pictures for tag words such as "temptation", "sin", "satan", "sinners" and "the devil" wasn't very easy. Obviously, I'm rather fond of old Lucifer, though (the picture not the actual demon). This is a rather stylin' rendition of him which I think deserves posting on my blog twice.

Photo Credits:
This is Not an Apple by kT LindSAy
Apple Temptation by Lawrence OP
The Devil that You Know by Thomas Hawk

2 comments:

  1. Nice job... I like how it is linear and tells a very relevant story in very few words. I didn't visit the site, but I, too, would think that cropping the photographs and having more flexibility with the text would be helpful.

    Your creation is something that you could even use with "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." When I saw your picture and before reading your entry, that is the fist thing I thought of, especially because of the "wrath" part. Because of the sermon's numerous examples of imagery, the kids could even create their own pikistrips, depicting one of the visual elements from the speech and Edward's interpretation of God's views of man.

    There really is so much that we can do with all of this technology if only we had the time and the resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to add my voice to the choir. Flikr: great idea, cumbersome practical technology. I think you have all talked me in to buying a digital camera for myself, and yet, I would so miss my stone tablet drawings from my time on the mountain (weak attempt to keep with the religious theme).

    ReplyDelete