Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thing #15 - Not so Delicious as say Ben and Jerry's or a Fresh Pizza

I have avoided working on my 23 things this week because I just have so much real work to do. Normally, I would do anything rather than grade essays, but the very thought of investigating social networking makes me whoozy. I'm beginning to feel A) like a circus lion jumping through flaming hoops, B) that this is all busy work, and C) that no one is actually reading our responses (except for all of you who are fellow web 2.0 learners). I like the knowledge I've learned thus far, but I have to wonder if it's really all that important if I know how to use, let alone know of, Delicious. SIGH. I'm not trying to be a spoil sport, but I'm frustrated and I feel more like one of my students than a highly educated adult with 14 years experience in education. I'm not having fun anymore. Alas, I've come to far to give up; I'm more than halfway finished. Unfortunately, I have to include a link in this post to prove I've completed my task, and I'm a horrid liar, so here it goes:

I have absolutely no idea how I would use this professionally. Personally, yes. I am, as my friends know, a fanatic "virtual" on (and off) line shopper (this means I don't actually have to buy anything . . . I just love to look). I have pages and pages of bookmarked sites I visit on a regular basis in search of cool things I might want to buy or give as gifts if and when I ever have the money. I think Delicious (or devilicious as I think I will call it) would work smashingly for this. Of course, I'm not acctually going to do that, because it would be a total pain in the butt; I've got a system I like and prefer to remain in the 20rd century (that's for you Salinger).

On a side note, I found this while searching for sites to bookmark. Everyone should have one of these (see, now you're going to have to follow my link to know what I'm talking about. C'mon. All the cool kids are doing it. You know you want to. Give in to the peer pressure and enjoy). Also, The Truth is Out There.

3 comments:

  1. On the contrary, I am reading each of your posts and spending lots of time doing it. So, besides all the technology things you're learning, you are being read.
    As for how Delicious could be used in the classroom, teachers could develop accounts where students could find "tags" that relate to something they are researching. In addition, students could add bookmarks that they find. Therefore, the students and teacher benefit from what the others have found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad someone is reading these. I didn't mean to be rude, I'm just very frustrated (and naturally a little cynical). You are right; given the time, these things would be fun to play with. Unfortunately, I seem to be finding myself with less free time for fun things. Maybe my colleagues and I are just cynical, or it could be the atmosphere we're feeling on our campus (where technology is being "revoked" for those who "need it more" and where a department has to have bad TAKS scores before they receive all the cool bells and whistles). I am still finding it difficult to imagine how I would fit in computer time into my CSI lesson plans for tagging, but, again, with enough time, I see it could work. I've noticed my posts growing more and more negative as the year progresses. I started out so positive.

    I appologize for my nasty attitude and thank you for your words of encouragement. I am duly shamed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, unfortunately, TAKS scores are driving technology EVERYWHERE. We have teachers who are getting things they refuse to use whereas other departments aren't getting things they would use. It irritates the dog out of me, too.

    ReplyDelete