Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thing #23 - It's a Ning Thing; You Wouldn't Understand

One of the AP sample tests I give my kids each year has to do with educational marketing: Should we allow companies to brand our schools and students as a way to supplement our funding shortfalls? This is exactly what I thought of as I read the Thing #23 blurb on Ning. I was really pumped and planned a whole post in my head discussing the pros and cons of requiring students to use a site that contained third-party advertising . . . And, then, I kept reading. Ning has developed a non-ad version just for education. Obviously, this was designed by (or the idea of) an actual educator. One thing I've discovered about the "real" or "civilian" world of non-educators . . . they do not have that built in preemptive filter that we educators do. How will this affect my students? What are the possible repercussions of this? Are there any potential problems associated with it? Etc., etc. I don't think most people realize the extent of the politically correct world we live it . . . and, it bleeds into our personal lives as well. I'm regularly shocked by what comes out of my friends' mouths. I have to remind myself they actually can say that or do this. Maybe that's why I am so careful about my social networking profiles; I don't want anything to find its way back to me that could potentially hurt my job or professional reputation (although, as much as I may want to, I'm not doing anything truly reprehensible).

I have been noticing just how repetitive of the educational application aspect of the web 2.0 goodies is. Like many of the other things we've looked at, Ning has many educational applications predominately collaborative in nature: online discussion, research, etc. Not a bad thing, just something I feel I've discussed a bazillion times already. And, there's the time issue. I haven't had a moment to myself since last Wednesday, and, while I like the idea of getting together with like-minded adults for a good ol' intellectual discussion on Gather or any other social networking site, I just don't have the time. However, social networking is an awesome resource; the more information and connections at one's fingertips, the easier to solve problems, improve methods, and enhance projects. Whether it's done for the classroom or for professional advancement, social networking is an awesome resource and having education specific resources is important for the sheer fact of having others who understand the specific needs of educators.

I realize this is not one of my better posts. I'm sleep deprived and running purely on caffeine. As I've been writing, I've wondered at the exact number of times I've used the words or derivatives of the words "education" and "things". And, thank god for spell check; my spelling is frightening on a good day and down right horrific today.

No comments:

Post a Comment