Monday, November 9, 2009

Thing #22 - MyBook & FaceSpace

I have both a MySpace and a Facebook account. The first profile was actually created for me by Paul so that I could access the MySpace page of our dog Barney. I've been there a total of maybe three times. As a matter of fact, anyone visiting my MySpace page who actually knows me can tell I didn't set it up because it's decorated in fuchsia and bubble gum pink hearts (so not me). I've also found that it's a little awkward to negotiate using my Macbook at home . . . like most of the world, MySpace doesn't speak our language.

My Facebook page, however, I set up specifically for keeping in touch with a good friend in Georgia. I hadn't really intended to go crazy with the cheese whiz or anything, but, before I knew it, I had like 100 friends. Okay. Not THAT many. I don't actually know that many people I'd want to keep in contact with. But, it did help me find a few people I had lost contact with and wondered about over the years. For those of you who don't really know me, my family moved A LOT when I was younger. By the time I started teaching, I had lived in six different states (one of those I'd lived in twice). Needless to say, I've had quite a few lost friendships over the years and it was really confidence boosting to know so many people not only remembered me, but wanted to know what I was up to. I will say, it was hard for me, at first, not to write a book and include every little detail when someone asked me how I was doing. What I realized, eventually, is that people on Facebook do not necessarily want to converse; they want to talk about themselves and allow friends to keep versed via those updates. Only one or two people do I really "talk" to beyond reading each others' updates. And, I've found, that while I started out visiting daily, I hardly ever go anymore. My boyfriend and our group of friends use it to organize events (the boys even have a special profile set up for their 4x4 Fridays - see the "White Trash Weekend" post). I really think I would use it more if I had an iPhone. Both Paul and our friend Vanessa use their iPhones to instantaneously post pictures and blurbs about their goings-on. If I had that kind of access, it would be fun to stay connected, but I just don't have the time (nor do I remember to) log on and post when I get home. Fortunately, I can live vicariously through Paul, who is also into the Farmsville application on Facebook. Being a farm girl myself, I really think this would be fun, but I just don't have the kind of time to take care of virtual pets (I can barely take care of the live ones I've got some days).

Now. Here's where I may get into some trouble with this post (and if that's the case, I hope xxx let's me know and I will rectify the situation). I am REALLY weird about who I accept as a "friend". I try to keep the circle very limited and I NEVER allow students (past or present) on. Most of my students seem to understand this (as I think most of my teacher people do) and we agree to keep in contact via email instead. When I post, I want to feel I can be myself and this just is not possible if I allow certain people on my profile. I also want to keep this blog as annonymus as possible with the hopes that I will be able to continue it after this course is over and no connection can be made between me and my alterego. Whith that said, I am not going to provide a link to either my MySpace or my Facebook. I want to receive credit for this thing, so, if I have to, I'll create a blind profile, but I'd really not have to waste the time if I don't have to. Those of you who do want to "friend" me can contact me privately about that. I know it seems odd, but I'm really very careful about not letting my personal life into my professional one.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in total agreement on the Facebook thing; I don't accept students either, and I often "ignore" coworkers because I just don't want to "cowork" at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain there. I've got a couple friend requests just sitting in my inbox now because I don't want to have to refuse a coworker. I always feel so guilty. It's not personal (ok, maybe it is); I just try to keep work and home as separate as possible. Thanks for making me feel not quite so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete